Sign in to follow this  
Kanlaeel

What Draws You to CU?

Hey guys! I just wanted to pop in and see if we could get any conversations rolling!

So a question for the community. What draws you to CU most over other eras of SWG?

For me, I think it has to be the blend that SOE and Lucas Arts found between true SWG and the best features of other games of its type. I liked Pre-CU enough, but it always felt more like a beta test rather than a fully polished game. The little things, such as how you COULD NOT go out for combat if you didn't go and see a doctor for buffs. Or how despite having a wide variety of armors in the game, everyone ran around in composite armor because it was "the best." Or even the fact that the ability hotkeys were not colored in at all. I feel like with CU, they did a great job at taking in what other game developers learned and implementing great features to the game, while managing to find the right balance between popular features and what made SWG unique. NGE ruined that balance, losing the essence of SWG, and Pre-CU was lacking in a lot of key features.

So yea, what about yall? What about SWG CU era makes it stand out above the others in your mind?

I like it because it's similar to Pre-CU but doesn't have the boring combat system of Pre-CU. Especially the fact that CU retains the massive amount of classes that Pre-CU has. NGE had no variety.

what it draws me to the cu? I like to try new things because, I've tried the nge first then pre-cu. all i like to do is try something new and i am more happy that i can try a new things. when it's release i shall try it :). good things come who those who try :)

I loved being a pistoleer with actual crowd control abilities to differentiate myself from other ranged classes. I loved joining large player vs player battles where weapons fire was being exchanged and the players didn't look like cave men warriors cosplaying as rejected Halo concept art. I loved not having to waste tracking droids going after my target because *of course* they were on the Ryatt Trail. ;)

I am originally a post NGE player so the combat system in that has spoiled me and I can't stand pre-cu combat as it's way to slow and extremely lacking in content for my taste. I'm fascinated with the mixing of different professions though. So I guess I'm here to see what that short period of time between era's was like. From what I heard the problem with CU was trying to balance all the classes.

8 hours ago, Regisfuror said:

I am originally a post NGE player so the combat system in that has spoiled me and I can't stand pre-cu combat as it's way to slow and extremely lacking in content for my taste. I'm fascinated with the mixing of different professions though. So I guess I'm here to see what that short period of time between era's was like. From what I heard the problem with CU was trying to balance all the classes.

Honestly, the balance was fine during the CU; probably the best it's ever been considering there was 32 professions. The issue was many people didn't play it long enough due to being upset their OP 1.0 weapon was getting converted during the change from Pre-CU to CU. Or that it was a complete overhaul in general so most people left.

A ton of people left prior to the CU simply because of the discussion of bringing the CU. Many of them came back mid CU and enjoyed themselves (most of my guild, for instance).

On 1/16/2017 at 0:30 PM, Dreadlow said:

Honestly, the balance was fine during the CU; probably the best it's ever been considering there was 32 professions. The issue was many people didn't play it long enough due to being upset their OP 1.0 weapon was getting converted during the change from Pre-CU to CU. Or that it was a complete overhaul in general so most people left.

A ton of people left prior to the CU simply because of the discussion of bringing the CU. Many of them came back mid CU and enjoyed themselves (most of my guild, for instance).

QFE. CU balanced the game like never before; it was really a matter of a huge part of the population left and when they came back the NGE had been announced already or it was shortly before. The CU could've made galaxies a huge competitor in the MMO market, probably not at the same level as WoW but I think it could've been close.

Hey guys, sorry for the absence!

I have to agree with Dread and Fire here, CU was one of, if not the best balanced gameplay of any game I've played. The issue with CU was that it wasn't profitable enough for SOE. It wasn't a new game, so it didn't have that hype. WoW was in it's big boom of new players and was all the craze. It was change from pre-cu, so people were upset and actively giving bad publicity. It was also known as a very complex game that could be imposing to new players that didn't find friends to help them learn the game. These conditions combined lead to a game that had relatively low new player growth, meaning less people buying the game, and even though they got a ton of money from a strong player base, they wanted to boost that new player growth. So they changed the game to take out the complexity and attempted to take a page from blizzard's money train.

On 9/15/2016 at 2:02 PM, affinity said:

I like it because it's similar to Pre-CU but doesn't have the boring combat system of Pre-CU. Especially the fact that CU retains the massive amount of classes that Pre-CU has. NGE had no variety.

Going with this and JTL! NGE was disgusting.

Bit late to the party, but as well as what's already been said about the balance etc, I think also the social and grouping side was the most fun I've had in a game. Group grinding was some of the most fun I've had. Full groups of you just blasting through lairs. Good times.

having finally played both played pre-cu (hate the combat, armour that *requires* buffs) and NGE (hate the lack of diversity, the Jedi spam) but from what I've heard CU seems to have the game experience that I'd most like to play

the sandboxed approach, the use of JTL and that the combat system was balanced. Your combat skill points lead to a clear leveling process, that was taken into account when in combat. There was also variety

Like everyone said, I loved the added eyecandy of the cu, but the variety that the pre-cu offered. Once I was force unlocked I was going to go full jedi, but with the rare pearls being nerfed and no more good lightsabers, I found my favorite build ever in any game I built a hybrid Jedi/rifleman the jedi abilities to regen health and the combination of being able to still wear armor and use my rifles was just to unbelievably awesome, . My days consisted of solo farming Krayts, nightsisters etc. I was basically unstoppable by most content, and was able to be a great asset to my guilds progress in acquiring mandalorian pieces in the death watch bunker and getting jetpacks built as well.