Sign in to follow this  
Sentzu

What are you most excited about?

I'm curious, what about the end of the CU era are you most excited to experience again?

For me it's the extended small group and solo PVP battles. I loved the way good team work could so often overcome greater numbers, and that the fights usually didn't end too quickly.

I'm also excited about trying out all my favorite builds again - there were so many!

I loved that CU brought cool-down timers to the table with a shadow affect on my specials. I loved having to do the math and watching for my next special to open up on the fly during combat, and if I made a bad choice it would cost me a trip to the cloner, or the opposite by pulling off an incredible save.

In CU You had to "think" about what you were going to do, and what your next move would be instead of mindlessly spamming one special over and over.

I loved that every armor was "needed" and everyone wasn't wearing composite. It gave real flavor to what you were seeing in game and also opened up more diversity for crafters.

CU food and drink was also amazing and if you knew how to stack you could pull off some pretty epic game-play with it, and having that kind of buff in your backpack was super convenient.

Loading up the big boat (8 man vehicle) with all your friends and taking a ride to the next adventure, or just cruising around in the AV-21 with your in-game honey or best bud next to you are some of my fondest memories. They are also some of the funnest because sure enough we'd all be riding along while chatting up a storm and someone would Inevitably click on the landscape and fall out of the damn vehicle and we'd have to turn around and go get them before they were ganked by a nearby wild spawn.

The other thing I loved was the rotation of spin groups that moved to different planets depending on what "good" creature resource were in spawn. At random it would turn an otherwise sleepy city into a major hot spot over night. It was like the wild west where friends were made and major jerks achieved stardom by getting city banned lol.

Landing on the Mustafar mining platform will be the other thing that I look forward to experiencing once again. I was a huge glowie junky and I was always messing with that damn cube. I Loved the mustafar collections and couldn't get enough of those purple stims that were made with the Chu-Gon Dar Cube. :).

My last night in CU just hours away from nge I recall my very last duel. My avatar was just a village turn away from going paddycake and I dueled with a full template jedi. We fought for over thirty minutes and I won that duel. I didn't really need a jedi to be epic. That's what I loved about CU because going jedi was not the end all be all choice and other template options were "still viable". Granted the person I dueled didn't have a master defender template, but still my avatar wasn't entirely shredded just because my opponent had a glowbat and I didn't. I had choices and to be honest I was happy with what I had.

CU was a beautiful thing that brought needed checks and balances to the game, and promoted a grouping dynamic that has built lasting friendships that survive to this day. I made more new friends during that evolution of the game than all the others combined. I look forward to contributing to its resurrection with a team that shares a deep love for the sandbox that is both a tribute and a testament to Raph Koster's creative genius.

Edited by Kamara

Wow Kamara, that really brought me back. It's fun hearing someone else reminisce over such specific and unique experiences, yet so similar to my own.

Nice to see someone involved in the project is so passionate about the CU, Kamara!

Wholeheartedly agree with all points, especially the group buses and trips with friends to various worlds; and im unsure how many pickets were dead to spin groups but it was in the trillions.

Probably my favourite thing though was having more classes and templates being viable for PVP combat. As well you said the combat was more focused on cooldown timers and not spamming. I hated KD+Dizzy. When I had a Jedi in CU I dabbled a lot and made it specifically for killing other Jedi (Defenders in specific which were so damn popular). All the added PvE content as well I loved (Kash had a lot to do and explore). The short lived Squad Leader revamp before NGE made Squad Leaders into pure beasts was cool. Hope to experience it all again... except some of the village quests.

Nice to see someone involved in the project is so passionate about the CU, Kamara!

Wholeheartedly agree with all points, especially the group buses and trips with friends to various worlds; and im unsure how many pickets were dead to spin groups but it was in the trillions.

Probably my favourite thing though was having more classes and templates being viable for PVP combat. As well you said the combat was more focused on cooldown timers and not spamming. I hated KD+Dizzy. When I had a Jedi in CU I dabbled a lot and made it specifically for killing other Jedi (Defenders in specific which were so damn popular). All the added PvE content as well I loved (Kash had a lot to do and explore). The short lived Squad Leader revamp before NGE made Squad Leaders into pure beasts was cool. Hope to experience it all again... except some of the village quests.

The entire team is just as crazy for the game as I am. Most of us have worked together on other projects resurrecting the SWG game and its morphed into even more fun by being on the other side of the game breathing life back into it. 

This game just has a magic about it, and when your hooked by it, its often life long :)

The entire team is just as crazy for the game as I am. Most of us have worked together on other projects resurrecting the SWG game and its morphed into even more fun by being on the other side of the game breathing life back into it. 

This game just has a magic about it, and when your hooked by it, its often life long :)

I'm crazy too.

I'm looking forward to everything, the UI/icons, roots/snares, balanced professions, more PvE content, just to scratch the surface! :D

Wow Kamara, that really brought me back. It's fun hearing someone else reminisce over such specific and unique experiences, yet so similar to my own.

Sentzu My apologies. Its showing I edited your post when actually I was trying to reply and caught myself typing on your post. Guess that will teach Ace for giving me the powers to mod *smirks*

Now if I had made that error with Vlada it would have been hilarious /evilgrin. Again my apologies /deepbow

Sentzu My apologies. Its showing I edited your post when actually I was trying to reply and caught myself typing on your post. Guess that will teach Ace for giving me the powers to mod *smirks*

Now if I had made that error with Vlada it would have been hilarious /evilgrin. Again my apologies /deepbow

Fixed edit by :)

Personally I'm first looking forward to zoning in game and setting up QAVille - the rest is simply the balance CU brings :)

I'm looking forward to everything, the UI/icons, roots/snares, balanced professions, more PvE content, just to scratch the surface! :D

Roots and snares were quite divisive things that many loved or hated. I personally liked them too because I felt it was a good means of crowd control for PvE and PvP and as far as hunting Jedi went it did make some things easier for ranged. 

Roots, snares and mezzes were done right in the CU compared to any other MMO I've ever played.

More importantly it was a bit more balanced in terms of not every profession had one. There weren't ways of breaking them all the time as well and I think that's where I'm most happy. ToR's system with the white bar and how everyone has at least one type of RSM and one ability to break them, gets mad annoying.

I do have to say I miss KD/Dizzy.  It made sense, though it was poorly implemented in Pre-CU. I would have prefered it to have stayed in the CU, and Knockdown Recovery having less of a chance of working. That would have made all the difference; but KD/Dizzy didn't matter all that much with RSM. Which honestly is what helped the game. Ranged players got a much needed boost strictly from those new mechanics, Jedi was still powerful due to their jack of all trades style but not Alpha (saber block being lowered is the reason for that), and "defense stacking" for melee stopped being the end all requirement to PvP since defenses like that no longer played too key of a role.

Personally I enjoyed the armor system; though it still could have used more love so we could have appearances or enhanced crafting mechanics to allow for any armor in any style (Recon, Battle or Assault) at the cost of more resources, time, etc. to craft.

It was slower paced but still exciting, I think it hit that good mid point and is why I loved the CU. I had a Doctor/Swordsman, and while that was a relative FoTM template, it didn't feel like it, since I played against and with many other templates, and since many of them were ranged, it actually felt more like a Star Wars game.

Roots, snares and mezzes were done right in the CU compared to any other MMO I've ever played.

More importantly it was a bit more balanced in terms of not every profession had one. There weren't ways of breaking them all the time as well and I think that's where I'm most happy. ToR's system with the white bar and how everyone has at least one type of RSM and one ability to break them, gets mad annoying.

I do have to say I miss KD/Dizzy.  It made sense, though it was poorly implemented in Pre-CU. I would have prefered it to have stayed in the CU, and Knockdown Recovery having less of a chance of working. That would have made all the difference; but KD/Dizzy didn't matter all that much with RSM. Which honestly is what helped the game. Ranged players got a much needed boost strictly from those new mechanics, Jedi was still powerful due to their jack of all trades style but not Alpha (saber block being lowered is the reason for that), and "defense stacking" for melee stopped being the end all requirement to PvP since defenses like that no longer played too key of a role.

Personally I enjoyed the armor system; though it still could have used more love so we could have appearances or enhanced crafting mechanics to allow for any armor in any style (Recon, Battle or Assault) at the cost of more resources, time, etc. to craft.

It was slower paced but still exciting, I think it hit that good mid point and is why I loved the CU. I had a Doctor/Swordsman, and while that was a relative FoTM template, it didn't feel like it, since I played against and with many other templates, and since many of them were ranged, it actually felt more like a Star Wars game.

Very interesting. I can't speak about TOR since I never played but that doesn't sound too good (my brother ventured off there and didnt enjoy it). One thing I am interested to know about is what publish or goal you guys are striving for with your emulation. I do recall roots and snares being changed a bit over time and for certain actions. I think eventually a snare was added to Jedi who used Avoid Incap. 

And yes there were plenty of viable templates, especially ranged... I found it strange how like right after the Squad Leader revamp they decided to take it all away with the NGE. They had promised Ranger, Smuggler revamps as well and I'm sure those would've been pretty cool.

Very interesting. I can't speak about TOR since I never played but that doesn't sound too good (my brother ventured off there and didnt enjoy it). One thing I am interested to know about is what publish or goal you guys are striving for with your emulation. I do recall roots and snares being changed a bit over time and for certain actions. I think eventually a snare was added to Jedi who used Avoid Incap. 

And yes there were plenty of viable templates, especially ranged... I found it strange how like right after the Squad Leader revamp they decided to take it all away with the NGE. They had promised Ranger, Smuggler revamps as well and I'm sure those would've been pretty cool.

I'll look into what Publish specifically (cause at the moment the number escapes me) but we're looking to bring back the last Publish right before the NGE if I'm not mistaken.

There were a bit of changes to RSMs, for instance how after using one they had a hidden cooldown so you couldn't be rooted or snared again for a little while. And yes there was a snare essentially for Avoid Incapacitation.

You and me both, I'm not quite sure why they continued to develop the system that in depth fully knowing the NGE was the next day essentially. I'm also curious what those changes to Ranger and Smuggler would have been. Actual smuggling is something I think everyone is sitll waiting for :P

Cannot wait to start this path again. I really enjoyed the questing system and phases at the Village.

screenShot0006.jpg

*rolls a bountyhunter* /evilgrin