Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aceblade

State of the Project - August 2016 + CUEmu ARK Server

3 posts in this topic

Greetings all!

This State of the Project address is going to have a bit of a different tune to it this month (as I missed last month). I wanted to put a more personal spin on things and thank the CUEmu staff for all that they've done. I also wanted to share things from my perspective. 

Dreadlow and I have been working on things both front-end and back-end these last few months. Progress on the code has been slow and we've been banging our heads against that ugly crafting crash. I'm not a programmer, that's for sure,  and some of you may know me from SWGEmu as the former QA Leader there.  I haven't been of much help with the code itself but I have helped Dreadlow track down specific areas that the problem may be stemming from. Essentially this issue boils down to following crash and debug logs to figure out what the client is expecting and what we are throwing at it. It's a proverbial needle in the haystack and while I'd like to say it'll be resolved "soon" it's likely still a bit off.

We do have several candidates for development positions who we've reached out to in order to get a fresh perspective on things. We've been looking at the same code base, in regards to this specific issue, for the past several months and as with all things in life you're just too close to the problem to find the solution. We hope that when we bring on these new team members they'll be able to help resolve our final hurdle before launching TC-Katarn to the masses. 

Server Changes

The last few months we've been working on setting up the infrastructure to proceed with open sourcing the project and allowing code contributions once we get to a more stable code base. This has involved us moving from a few VPS nodes at our provider to a dedicated server in which we've carved it into several much more powerful VPSs. In the long run it'll save us considerably and allow much more flexibility.

I do want to point out that while we do have a donation system in place the past several months have been funded completely by the CUEmu staff. As we believe that this project still has merit and we want to see it to fruition not only has the team been contributing time and energy but also the finances out of their own pockets. I'd like to take this time to thank the staff members for continuing to envision this project and all of the effort that has gone into it. It's clear to me that our team has a passion for this project.

ark_survival_evolved.png

ARK: Survival Evolved

As mentioned above, I'm certainly not a programmer. While I'd love to be able to wrap my head around the code base more It's simply not within my immediate reach. I've been doing server administration both in my professional and hobby life for years now and wanted to give back a bit of fun to the community and staff.

Enter: ARK: Survival Evolved

Everyone needs a break from the grind now and then - Dreadlow and I have found out that building / crafting things in ARK is relaxing. It's relaxing of-course except when Dreadlow is being chased by a T-Rex or is irritated that he lost yet another dinosaur to some carnivorous creature who is just looking to feed its pack of hungry carnivorous family members. 

Anyone that has worked on a long term volunteer project knows that burn out is one of the top reasons that projects fail. ARK has allowed us to break free, be creative, and try to survive in a mostly relaxing atmosphere and we want everyone who owns the game to join us!

If you haven't checked ARK out yet I heavily recommend you do so:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

Server Information

Mode: PVE (PVP Events Planned)
Map: The Center
XP Multiplier: X 2
Taming Speed: X 4

Mods:
Ark Advance 10 (Advanced Structures / Items)
Death Helper (Help find your corpse)
Pet Finder (Help find personal lost pets / tribe pets)
Ark Postal Service (Send Mail to offline players)

I'm open for suggestions on how we're able to provide a more enjoyable ARK experience for the community. Please visit the ARK Suggestions forum section.

How do I find the server?

You can use the in-game server browser, select unofficial servers, and type in CUEmu or visit the following link:
https://arkservers.net/server/192.95.38.68:27015

Will this take away development time from CUEmu?

Absolutely not! This is simply to draw the community back together, have some fun, and for the staff to take a breather for times when they're unable to focus solely on coding or other tasks.

What are the general rules of the server?

I understand that some of you want a full on PVP experience however in my time playing ARK I've experienced a large amount of grieving by "Alpha Tribes" who believe they own the server they're playing on. While it's understandable and I appreciate the large amount of effort it takes to get to that level of progression it's not something I believe is ultimately fair. There are only really a few "rules".

• Don't be "that guy / girl":
    You can stay in your own little corner of world if you want but try not to be so nefarious. You'll have your chance to PVP during what we'll call "World Purge Events". RPing is highly welcome!
  • Excessive profanity in global chat:
    I would imagine that most of us are adults here but if you just got wrecked by a nasty dino try to keep yourself in check. Profanity by itself isn't horrible (I fully support free speech) but keep it to a minimum or you may get a friendly msg asking to tone it down.
  • Exploitng:
    This is the one and only thing I could see that will get you banned. Exploiting in any game is highly frowned upon and while this game is still under development I fully expect there to be bugs. If it's "too easy" or doesn't feel like you should be doing it.. you likely shouldn't be. If you need clarification just reach out to a member of the Staff tribe or admin (clearly marked by a star in global chat) for clarification. 
  • Have fun!:
    ARK is an open world survival game. In-game events by staff and even player hosted events are welcome. Let me know how we can be of help or if you need things to host a event. I'll see what can be done for you.

Will this server continue after you launch the public CUEmu Test Center?

I don't see why we wouldn't continue to run this server as it doesn't detract from the overall goal of this project. Not that this couldn't change in the future but even when the public Test Center is launched I'd like to see it kept around. We may even bring in event / community staff for the server at some point. 

2 people like this

Woot woot! As always great job guys!